CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Piano Obsession

For our 2nd anniversary, Ryan bought me a baby grand piano off of craigslist. I have been trying to get back into piano and have been obsessed with learning 2 songs written by Michael Nyman (the songs are on the playlist)--both from a movie called "The Piano". I haven't seen the movie, but the music is mysterious/intense/passionate. It really is an obsession since I play it everyday, trying to get further and further through the songs.

As I play, I often wonder what the history of our piano is. For instance, who played on this piano? How often was it played? What was the hardest piece that was played? The person we bought the piano from said that it was 90 years old. I don't know if that is true since I did some research about Steinert pianos and came across an article about various clues that date the piano. On our piano, there are 2 stickers on the back by the National Association of Music Merchants, which dates this piano to 1919 at the earliest. And then there is another clue about the tuning pins base section alignment, which may actually date our piano post-1925.

At any rate, the haunting pieces are an obsession not only during the waking hours as I relentlessly work through the pieces, but the melodies even seep into my dreams...

5 comments:

Emily said...

It's a beautiful piano! And it's so good of you to want to relearn to play. I want to too one of these days, but no piano until we have a house!

Ann said...

what a gorgeous piano! :)

Fritters said...

beautiful piano! It sounds like music effects your thoughts the way ballet effects my movements. I find myslef stretching in bed or dancing as I walk arounf doing my housework~ =) Have fun!! Happy Holidays!!

Lynn said...

wow a piano! what an awesome gift! I bet you're pretty good at it. so how's it going?

Krista said...

love the piano! i just got my baby grand off craigslist too!